Guy's Vape Exploded and Kills Him!

Vaping may be the newest trend but at what cost? 

Complex just wrote an article discussing 38-year-old former CNBC producer Tallmadge D’Elia who was killed weeks ago. Apparently it is being stated as the first death due to e-cigarette explosion. 

In the autopsy of D’Elia, it was mentioend that the vape pen her was using actually exploded. Upon the explosion it projected particles into his skull. He also have burn on 80% of his body. 

A spokesperson for Smok-E mountain vape pen D'Elia was using told ABC affiliate WFTS "that the issue most likely stemmed from the atomizer (the piece of the vape you put in your mouth) or the battery."

Via Complex,

A U.S. Fire Administration report from 2016 counts 195 incidents stemming from e-cigarettes exploding or catching on fire from 2009 to 2016. Those incidents resulted in 133 injuries, 38 of which were classified as severe. This report cited no deaths as a result from vape pens, which is why D’Elia’s is considered to be the first. 

The U.S. Fire Administration further points out that there are currently no regulations regarding the safety of e-cigarette batteries and components.